CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 30, 2009

99 cent a pound chicken!

A new store called Winco, just opened not far from us. They were having some amazing deals, including boneless, skinless chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound. Krista told me that Matt's aunt, and one of her good friends had been canning chicken. I remembered that Bonnie and her girls had canned chicken, and said it was easy to do, so I bought some to can. Mike's dad had given us a pressure canner for Christmas about 25 years ago, that I had only used to make soup, or mashed potatoes, but never as a pressure cooker. Soooo, to make a long story short, after about 5 calls to Bonnie, lots of calls to our local extension agent, the mirro matic company, and a trip to Kitchen Kneads to replace some of the worn out or missing parts, I have 14 pints of chicken all ready to put on my shelves!

The first thing you do, is stuff as much raw chicken into a jar as you can.

Then put it in your pressure canner, put the lid on, and wait for it to reach 15 pounds of pressure.

Then you process it for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Walahhhhh, chicken in a jar, and it is tasty!!!!! Thanks Bonnie for your patience in teaching me how to do it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment